Sunday, July 29, 2007

My Week in the OBX - Part I

I am very happy to report that I am writing this from the ultra-beautiful Outer Banks. Kill Devil Hills, NC to be exact. I love it down here, and this is my first foray south in four years. It is 3:30pm as I begin writing this, and for that I am VERY unhappy. You see, it takes a particularly talented individual like myself to ruin the first full day of an eagerly anticipated vacation. Why am I here in front of the computer instead of relaxing on the beach with my family? Because I do not listen.

I have walked on hot sand many times. I am no beach expert by any means, but I am not a neophyte either. Today, against the warnings from my wife and mother-in-law, I was intent on ditching my flip-flops and walking to our beach spot bare-footed. I hate the way flip flops drag and kick sand up as I walk, and I have an easier time without them. The sand was hot. I was one third of the way on to the beach before I realized just how hot it was. A few steps later I knew I was in trouble. The sand was hot enough today to actually burn my feet. I sit here with two ginormous blisters on the bottoms of both feet, and smaller blisters that are strewn from heels to toes. Yes, this sucks and I am very angry at myself.

Day 2 (Monday) and vacation remains in tough start mode. We didn't get any significant beach time in today due to thunderstorms that rolled through the peninsula. We took Zachary to the aquarium and saw some very neat things, including a couple of big nasty-looking sharks. Zachary loved the ocean last year but seems almost petrified of it now. I have my work cut out for me this week. I was looking forward to taking The Man Zachary swimming, but I am going to have to ease him into it.

I am pleased to report that I am able to walk without much pain, thanks to something called spray-on new skin. Liquid bandages, friend of idiots like myself.

The missus and I are heading out tonight to catch the new Potter movie. Speaking of Harry Potter, my plan was to bring the 7th book down here with me but I couldn't wait. Yes, I am a geek. I blew through the book in a few days and all I can say is "wow". Any of you that have already finished the book and want to discuss make sure you drop me a line. I can't remember ever being emotional at the end of a book before. Many thanks to J.K. Rowling for creating a magical universe that I was able to get lost in for awhile. As much as I loved all of the books (and the movies for the most part), I would find myself complaining from time to time about Rowling seemingly liberally borrowing from other works. But all in all I have to say that the Harry Potter books should go down as one of the great literary series of our age.

[Currently Listening: Bad Manners - "Sally Brown"]

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home