Monday, November 20, 2006

Dumb Blog! Bad Blog! But Probably Still For the Best

When I last wrote, I was waiting to hear back from my boss as far as whether or not he was going to give me my job back. He was going to take 48 hours to think about it and then let me know. I was surprised to hear back from him a lot sooner than two days later, as he called me the following morning - and with a changed tone.

It seems my blog has a new fan. My now very ex-boss. Oops. MyAOL mail signature was my blog link, and I must have included it on an email to the ex-office. While it stinks to remain without a job this close to the holidays, it was still probably for the best. Things were said that couldn't be taken back, and it would have been very uncomfortable going back to work after being fired and then yelling at my boss. It's killing me inside to be unemployed, but I already had one interview last Thursday and another lined up for tomorrow morning. This isn't the greatest time of year to be hunting for work, but as people have said - what doesn't kill me will make me stronger. Another positive development from the aftermath of losing my job is that I have been able to spend a lot of time with The Man Zachary, who has been sick. I feel a lot closer to him now - so there is my silver lining.

My boss made some valid points when he called last Wednesday. I had a tough time taking my job seriously after awhile. I got my work done, and found time to help other people in the office with their stuff, but I also goofed around on the internet and whatnot. To be fair my job was hot and cold as far as how busy I would be, and it wasn't easy to find 8 hours worth of work to do every day. But, from here on out, I will be taking whatever job a get next ultra-seriously. I have complained about how bad it was to work somewhere where I was unhappy and where things were so unsteady. But you know what's worse? Being unemployed! My boss fired me two weeks ago without cause, but the truth is if I worked for a bigger company with more stringent controls on internet usage I could have easily had a case made against me. From here on out I have to fly right and be a whole lot smarter in my decision-making. I just turned 34 and I need to start acting like it. I have a house, a family - an amazing 15-month old son. I often feel that my family deserves far better than me. Now my number one priority is finding a decent job and then proving myself worthy of my wife and son.

Went to my first Eagles game in the new stadium and had a pretty good time. Would have had an even better time if I wasn't so depressed, but Kim came up big as far as birthday presents go. The black cloud that has been following me the past few weeks came along to South Philadelphia as well. Donovan McNabb injured his knee and the Eagles were terrible, losing to the previously 2-7 Tennessee Titans. My neighbor Dan and I got down to the stadium pretty quickly, had a few cold ones, and had an enjoyable time even with the bad news and the loss. I can say with absolute certainty that I do not miss Veteran's Stadium one iota. Lincoln Financial Field is a truly gorgeous facility - it's a shame that the game was so bad we left at the end of the third quarter.

[Currently Listening: Suicidal Tendencies - "Waking the Dead"]

1 Comments:

At 5:12 PM, November 21, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like some good things are coming out of this initially discouraging event. Maybe if you hadn't lost your job, you would have remained in this position with dis-satisfaction throughout your career. I was in a similar situation that forced me to try something else. I hope that the getting a job process goes as un-stressfully and quickly as possible. Thinking aboutcha!

-Laura

 

Post a Comment

<< Home