Friday, March 16, 2007

Proud Papa and Some Other Random Thoughts

The Man Zachary had his 18-month checkup yesterday and it confirmed a lot of what we already know. He is big, he is healthy (thank God) and he is on pace to be very smart. Apparently the average 18 month old is supposed to be using three words with regularity. I know how annoying this is going to read but Zachary is off the charts. The doctor commended him on his "amazing" vocabulary a number of times and told us we were doing a very good job with him. Coming from someone like Doctor B., it really meant a lot. It's not just us obviously. Our sitters do a great job with him and he also spends a lot of time with Grandma. The Man is tough too. He got three shots and after crying for just a few seconds he pulled himself together right away.

Speaking of his vocabulary, we are clearly at the point where we have to watch what we say around Zachary. Yesterday morning he cracked Kim and I up big-time. Kim had him on our bed and was getting him dressed when he looks up at us and says "farsted". Kim and I looked at each other because we weren't sure what he said. Then he "toots" and giggles and says "farsted". We both lost it. After pulling herself together, Kim asked him where he learned that word. He replied quickly, "Daddy".

So far the new job is going well. There is some weirdness here that I will have to fight through but it is an amazing opportunity for me. For the first time I will be someone's boss (in time I will have 4 people reporting directly to me) and I have been told that I will be in charge of organizational operations once I have a full handle on the bookkeeping responsibilities. My new job is in West Chester Borough and I would be hard-pressed to find a better commute. There will be some egos bruised once the owners announce my standing in the company, but I will cross those bridges if and when I come to them. I've been pretty stressed as the owners have been throwing stuff at me (figuratively) but a lot of it stems from my "abused puppy" syndrome. You know how some adopted dogs flinch, flee or snap when you try to pet them? I get like that sometimes when receiving instruction. I need to get over that and soon.

I have to say the last two episodes of Lost have brought me back. I was convinced that the show had lost its way (only slight pun intended and it still very well may have) and I have been shocked at how many "throwaway" episodes there have been this season. I truly hope the writers are able to pull themselves together. This summer I was fond of saying that we were in a "new golden age" of television and that I couldn't wait for the new t.v. season. And then all of my favorite shows started to suck. The long in-season hiatus for many of these shows didn't help matters at all. Grey's Anatomy tried to "jump the shark" with it's ferry crash near-death three episode arc which was so predictable and silly I couldn't stand it. Desperate Housewives has gotten so out of hand with the carnage and goofy plotlines that it might be better served joining the afternoon soaps. I believe more people have been killed on Housewives than there have on The Wire". I'm still angry with HBO for canceling "Carnivale", and the Sopranos has been weak for four seasons. I love Heroes - it's my new must-see show even though it is a complete X-Men comics rip-off. Jericho is another really good show even though it is somewhat over-acted. Great plot. I am trying to catch up on CSI through on-demand (if you haven't seen any of the "miniatures" episodes, you must check them out), and it is as good as ever. I watch American Idol religiously and yes, I vote. Another of my favorite shows is The 4400, which airs during the summer. There are a number of shows that I am afraid to watch because I know I would get addicted: 24, Battlestar Gallactica, Prison Break, etc. If anyone has these on DVD and is willing to let me borrow them, let me know. If not, I have to see if Netflix carries them.


It is a weird time to be a Philadelphia sports fan. I went to the Sixers game against the Nets two Sundays ago and was actually disappointed when they came back from an early 24-7 deficit to win the game going away. While I am a huge Sixers fan I have been actively rooting for them to lose all season. If there was ever a year to win the NBA draft lottery, this is the year. Now it looks like they have done just enough to screw themselves at any chance of drafting first or second. I am noticing a lot of people in the region having cases of Phillies Phever. I am looking forward to the baseball season but I still don't think they have enough to beat out the Mets this year. Still, it should be a very exciting season. The Flyers have the worst record in hockey and it has gotten so bad that they seem to be counting moral victories. I don't see this franchise being down for very long, but spare me the silver linings concerning effort and "almosts".

[Currently Listening: TV On the Radio - "Wolf Like Me"]

1 Comments:

At 1:30 PM, March 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your standing at a company nor the number of people who report to you make you successful.

Only you can make yourself a success.

Tell Zachary whoever smelt it, dealt it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home