Monday, November 06, 2006

A Telling Time

Tomorrow is election day, and I am very eager to see how tomorrow's results play out both regionally and nationally. To say that I have lost faith in our current system for choosing our leadership would be an understatement. The past two presidential elections have been total shams, and with the electronic voting machines coming into play I have zero confidence in the sanctity of the voting process. Elections have been fixed for ages, and now it will be easier than ever.

I have to believe that most non-sheep Republicans realize that we need a change in our government. The current Republican-dominated House and Senate have allowed the current Administration wipe its collective behind with the Constitution. Our government was designed to have checks and balances. The current Congress hasn't checked or balanced anything for years. More and more Republican politicians and spiritual advisors are being exposed as total frauds as far as their beloved "traditional family values" campaign platforms are shown to be mere lip service.

Until we know otherwise, our votes still count. So make sure you get out there and make your voice heard tomorrow. Whether you are a Democrat or a Republican, take some time and read up on what the candidates have said and more importantly - what incumbents have DONE. Whatever you do, don't just go and punch a button for one party or the other. Neither party is perfect. Neither party is all bad (although one is clearly getting there!). Our country will continue to be mired in the swamp of corrupt leadership if we as a people continue to allow it to happen. Voting blindly, or not voting at all, allows this pattern to continue. Our government hasn't been "for the people" or "by the people" for a long time. Our leaders work to line their own pockets by allowing Big Business to call the shots for us. It is high time that we be heard and actually represented again.

From the "not really a big deal but kind of a big deal to me" category... I have been writing a weekly column for a music website, Instrumental Analysis, and so far it has gone fairly well. The site administrator (and good friend) Joe contacted me on Saturday to tell me some neat news. VH1's "Best Week Ever" website actually spotlighted my article! It didn't earn me any money, nor does it really affect anything in the grand scheme of things, but it still felt pretty darned good.

Played in a 25-person poker tournament on Saturday afternoon. Played very well for the first few levels but gave away half my chip stack on a couple of bad hands. I made two elementary mistakes and paid the price for them. I finished 10th and was the first person eliminated from the final table. Sometimes I find myself really upset after bowing out in a tournament without cashing, but I am eager to try my luck again, hopefully soon. The next-door neighbors hosted a birthday party on Saturday night and I got myself into a saucy state. I thoroughly embarrassed myself but apparently I was pretty entertaining (to all except my wife). I hardly drink anymore, and after Saturday night I'm wondering if I shouldn't just stop completely. Insecure Vince still seems to take over when I have too much in me. On the positive side, I can still lay claim to the title of Greatest Beer Pong Player of All Time. Even after a two-year layoff, my game is still tight. The Big Man is still THE man in the most challenging of drinking games. Apparently at one point Saturday night I uttered the following phrase: "Michael Jordan is an NBA peasant compared to me in beer pong". My wife was, of course, completely mortified.

[Currently Listening: Arcadia - "Election Day"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home