Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Headaches

Our house phone has been ringing a lot more than normal over the past few weeks. The increased volume can not be attributed to an increase on our family's popularity, nor, thankfully, is it due to any loved one-related conundrums. Apparently, taped messages from people running for political office do not fall under the auspices of the "Do Not Call" list.

Of all the calls we have received of this nature, none has made it past word four before being hung up upon. I do not see how this is an effective campaign tool, unless really bored people with nothing better to do than listen to taped pitches make up a sizable portion of the voting public. My lack of interest in the taped messages is fueled by a number of factors, the most notable being my general dissatisfaction with the current state of our democracy. I plan to vote, as I do in almost every election - but I am torn as I do so. I find myself wondering if my participation in the current system is an actual endorsement of it. I am proud to live in a country that allows for the people to choose our leaders (last two Presidential elections notwithstanding), but it is obvious that our nation is stagnating under the current system in which the only politicians that can afford to run for office are mouthpieces for one of two parties. I have said it before and I will say it again - the solution to most problems does not lie on one end of a polarized argument or the other. It generally lies somewhere in the middle. Our country is deprived of solutions that make sense because the current political landscape forces us to choose from what amounts to the lesser of two evils.

I have often wondered if I am alone in this thinking. However, today I read an article by Lou Dobbs that lifted my spirits. Dobbs makes many valid points, and he had me hooked with his introductory sentence:

"I don't know about you, but I can't take seriously anyone who takes either the Republican Party or Democratic Party seriously -- in part because neither party takes you and me seriously; in part because both are bought and paid for by corporate America and special interests."

Truer words have not been spoken in a long time. Please take the time to visit the link above and read the article for yourself. Our democracy is for sale. The either-or choice we are faced with in every major election does not work. I do not agree with Mr. Dobbs' assertion that the entire middle class should declare themselves "independent". This would not necessarily change the status quo. What our nation needs now more than ever are VIABLE third and fourth parties to contend with the two political behemoths that dominate our political landscape while selling out their policymaking power to the highest bidders - without shame. Democracy is about choice. It is high time we were given more of one. The article serves as a shill for Dobbs' book "War On the Middle Class", but he makes many interesting points. Make sure you check it out.

I have been plagued by headaches over the past three weeks or so. They refuse to relent and of course it has made my mind race as to what might be causing them. My wife says that I am a hypochondriac and I know I tire her with my constant voicing of my fear that every physical malady of mine represents the beginning of the end. So, for three weeks I have been sitting here thinking that I might have a brain tumor, and I happen to come across an article that theorizes dehydration as a leading cause of headaches. It suggests that someone my size should be taking in 120 oz of water a day. Seeing how I drink almost no water at all per day, I am encouraged that perhaps I do not have a brain tumor. Starting today, I will be drinking a lot more water, and we'll see what happens.

[Currently Listening: Men At Work - "Be Good Johnny"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home