Friday, September 15, 2006

The Biggest Loser?, One Crazy Week

I have been trying to find the time to write all week and have been thwarted at every turn. Work has been nuts, and the evenings haven't lent themselves to much writing time either.

Last weekend was up and down, mostly down. Had cards at my house Saturday night and I did not play well. I continued my pattern of starting well, generating a big stack, then wondering later what happened to my chips. I am usually very in tune with what I am doing right and wrong at the table, but my last couple of losing sessions have left me scratching my head. Bought in the tourney two and two-thirds times (to the tune of $80) and built the big stack each time. Then, each time, I got zapped. Crazy game, poker. I still love it though.

Another thing I love is my new t.v. I had been bringing myself to the brink of an anxiety attack as I debated whether or not to get the new set. I have never been much of a materialistic person. Growing up as a have-not, I am not used to having the option to get really nice things. Regardless of how much I work I still find myself wrestling with immense guilt over spending money on things that aren't necessarily needed. I did some research (greatly aided by good friends Rob and Dave) and finally decided to get the new t.v. Neighbor Dan went with me (again to Delaware) and we picked up a 42" Samsung DLP. We hooked it up in time to catch some of the Notre Dame - Penn State game, and it looked fantastic. Still, I felt hollow over it. The money could have been used for bills or something more important. I would agonize about this all through the weekend, even after watching my first Eagles game on it. I missed the first quarter after agreeing late Saturday afternoon to meet my boss at the office for "two hours" on Sunday. This would prove later in the week to have been a major mistake.

Monday brought a slew of work-related craziness into my life. Things here have been tight lately, and the tension has been palpable. I have been asked to take on a lot of stuff in the way of special marketing projects and such (which I do not mind) but am still supposed to be handling my usual duties. My boss told me for coming in on Sunday I could take a half day later in the week (NOT a fair trade) but then gave me attitude when I told him I was taking it on Wednesday. Heard rumblings of internet usage monitoring so I began to be a lot more careful - not that I had much of a chance to jump on this week anyway. Got into a heated exchange with my boss when he took umbrage to my declaration for leaving early. I swear, this place is nuts. The company has been good to me at times, but it always comes at a price. Today (Friday) our new sales guy was let go. He wasn't taking care of business but it hit home when a young guy with a little baby at home lost his job. I got the shakes when I learned about it, but the Sales Mgr. pulled me aside and told me to be calm. He told me I was valuable to the organization, and that meant a lot. Still, with the company struggling a bit to make our sales goals and the slaughterhouse atmosphere that gets generated in the office a little too often, I need to keep my options open.

The Man Zachary had his one-month checkup on Wednesday and he is doing great. He is in the 95th percentile for noggin size, 95th percentile for height and the 90th for weight. The doctor tends to call him "Bubba" or "Bruiser". He got three shots and that is always hard. While knowing that it is necessary, I still struggle with seeing Zachary in pain. I need to toughen up.

I won the spread pool for Week 1. I picked 12-4 against the number and clinched when the Vikings beat the Redskins on Monday Night Football. Monday Night also assuaged my t.v.-related guilt. Watching the game on my couch on the widescreen was SO nice. I still have to squint some, but that is because I am a blind bastard. I watched the first quarter with my Dad at the hospital. He had his pacemaker put in and he is doing better. We had some laughs and I was glad to have been able to go see him. I also won all three of my money-league fantasy games, so that took some of the bitter poker taste from my mouth.

This week went by like a whirlwind. I am very much looking forward to this Sunday, and not just because of the Eagles game. I will be seeing some very good friends for the first time in ages at the Collelouri Crabfest. The DiMario and Collelouri familes were very good to me over the years. I cannot wait to see everyone, or for them to meet Kim and Zachary. I find myself wishing Zachary was a little more Italian looking, but I guess I can't have it all.

[Currently Listening: Young Dro - "I'm Rollin'"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home