Thursday, September 21, 2006

Worst Construction Crew Ever

There is a road paving project taking place on the street my job is located on in West Chester. This is a good thing, as the street was in abysmal shape. I was happy that I would no longer have to travel along pothole hell multiple times every day.

The crew has been at it for a few weeks now, and I am left to wonder if this is their virgin undertaking. The first thing I noticed about the road crew was that none of them used flags or wore the bright-colored garb that I had previously assumed was mandatory for traffic control teams. The second thing I noticed was the one "flag" guy looked like a shorter, heavier version of Jelly from Analyze This. Four days and 14-or-so trips past this individual later I would realize that this individual was actually a woman. Scary-looking individuals aside, the crew seemed to be struggling with the management of traffic flow during the first couple of weeks, but I didn't believe that anyone's life was in danger.

Yesterday, I pulled out of our office park and waited for the now bright-yellow vest wearing man on the walkie-talkie to wave me onto the street. I am guessing there was a bit of a miscommunication, because shortly thereafter I was face-to-face with an oncoming UPS truck with nowhere to go. Today, as I left the office to pick up some lunch, there were no flag-wavers to be seen. I saw equipment and flashing lights a half-mile to my left and proceeded to turn right. This time upon traveling around the bend I had a line of vehicles led by a monstrous dump truck threatening a head-on collision. I swerved onto the freshly-paved side of the asphalt to the chagrin of the fine fellows who had recently smoothed that stretch of road. Some of them waved their flags at me and others screamed. After pelting the undercarriage of my car with fresh asphalt granules, I pulled over to the "safe" side of the road to address the gentlemen that were cursing at me. I was less than cordial in my suggestion that they spend less time yelling at me and more time getting their flag-waving system corrected. Three of the men approached my car and one asked "what the bleep are you gonna do about it?". In past days, I may have leapt from the car and beaten the guy to death with his own hard hat. However, I simply replied "nothing. I'll just call OSHA". My response ended the discussion.

I am supposed to run to the printer sometime this afternoon, but I'm wondering how wise that is. I have rolled the dice with my life a couple of times over the past couple of days, and I'd rather not take a Mac truck to the face while running an errand.

[Currently Listening: Da Backwudz - "I Don't Like the Look Of It"]

1 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, September 21, 2006, Blogger FANCY said...

Hi'
Well. you give him a slap on the nose.

*LOL*...

I have moor to read here. Will come back.
Most of the time I write on my language. But I have a translater on the top of my page.
Now I will see if I can found your song. and listen to it.

Pleas let me know that you have been to my page, I dont want to lose your url

//Fancy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home