Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Spinning My Wheels, Finally Gaining Traction

Things are starting to calm down somewhat on my end, after a couple of weeks where it felt like I was constantly spinning my wheels. Work has been non-stop busy, and this is a good thing. The bosses have given me a couple of new things to handle that I might actually enjoy - if I ever get my other stuff done so I can attack them. I am a little worried about the future of the company I am working for though. We have lost out on some big contracts due to an ex-colleague's rampant under-cutting, and the heat is starting to be felt.

The car saga has finally come to a close - for now. Was stuck at the house all weekend afraid to move the thing until I could get it back in the shop. They got the latest glitch dealt with, this time a vacuum hose which was re-inserted improperly. This manifested itself on Friday when I tried to turn on my defroster to deal with my rain-induced foggy windshield - only to have the max air conditioner come on full-blast, fully blinding me and almost causing me to wreck my car. I am strongly considering trading it in now that it is fixed but I know I'll get hosed in the deal.

I do feel like a giant heel. There were some people that I was supposed to get in touch with or go see over the last week and I have been so fried in dealing with the car, the night job and trying to help my parents (first time internet users) get up and running that I have forgotten about some important commitments. My apologies everyone. Things should now start to settle down some for me.

The adjustor was quite the annoying little man. In our first few conversations, he relayed to me no less than 10 times that he was "an Episcopalian" who was going "to be honest with me". Frankly I could care less if the guy was cannibal moon-worshipper, I would hope that the honesty would come standard. He did seem to be a pretty honest guy, although I caught heat from my mechanic over his approach style. The insurance company finally agreed that the car was struck by lightning, and I'll at least get to recoup some of the small fortune I have had to dump into the car in recent weeks. Now, something is popping in the suspension. Wonderful.

Had the DVFFL draft at my house on Sunday, and it went well. The hour or two leading up to the draft tends to be very hectic for the Commissioner. Giving guys directions, printing forgetful guys last-minute research material, getting your own stuff for the draft organized...it can cause a nice little headache (it did). Throw in a cranky one-year-old who refuses to go down for his nap while his Mommy is out food shopping and the headache becomes a four-alarmer. It was all worth it. I love the league, the guys are great, and we usually have a pretty good time. I look forward to draft day every year, and this year did not disappoint. We played some cards afterwards but the results of that game are unimportant, but I will be gunning for neighbor Dan when we reconvene the home game early next month.

My niece (Super-Kid Gabby) started kindergarten on Monday and I am happy to report that things went pretty smoothly. My Mom says she got on the school bus as though she had been doing it for years. Gabby hasn't had a lot of interaction with other kids, so we were somewhat worried about how she'd handle it. So far, so good! I am really proud of her. And while I completely disapprove with my parents methods a lot of the time, I am proud of them too. If not for my Mom and Dad, Gabby would most likely be a ward of the state. I need to stop spazzing on them so much. They are a lot better with Gabby than they were with the four of us, but I still wish they realized how much harm they can do to a kid by saying certain things or acting certain ways in front of them. I didn't expect things to go as well as they have so far, so maybe they can get even better still.

[Currently Listening: Toots and the Maytals (feat. Willie Nelson) - "Still Is Still Moving To Me"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home