Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Catching Back Up

I am sitting here this afternoon feeling pretty good. Not because work has gotten any less nightmarish, mind you. My up-and-down first-season-together hoops team had its biggest win of the season last night, beating the much-younger and more athletic league defending champs by 3 - although we almost blew a 13-point lead with 3:30 left in the game. I only had 6 points, but it was the first game all season where I felt like I had my legs under me. We play again tonight, and I'm interested (dreading?) to see how I hold up - especially since we will only have 5 guys (maybe only 4!) tonight. Should be fun.

I weighed in this morning lighter than I have been in a long, long time. I'm down 16-17 pounds since March 1st. I'd be down a lot more if I was a bit more disciplined on the weekends, but woulds and coulds do not count for anything in this world.

I have had the very good fortune over the past handful of weeks to touch base with some good friends from my past. A few weeks ago my childhood babysitter Angela phoned me out of the blue. Late last week, thanks to MySpace, I was able to hear from two of my best friends from college, Nolan and then Antonio. Both are doing very well, although one is in a tougher spot than the other. Nolan has moved to Arizona. So, the Madden Superman to my Lex Luthor (Superman always wins, right?) from a few years back has chicken-ly moved three time zones away so as to not have to deal with my improved game. The only way we'll play again is online. I'm game. Antonio, on the other hand is in his third tour of duty in Iraq. Was happy to hear that his family is doing well, and that he is doing everything in his power to stay safe. I told him that regardless of my feelings concerning our government and our involvement in Iraq, that I am pulling for him and the rest of our people over there to take care of their business and to come home safe. While attending the wedding of good friend John Rambo over the weekend, I got to spend some catch-up time with old friend Dom C. It was very cool reminiscing with Dommer, and I am happy to report that he too is doing very well these days.

We had a poker night at my house (the first since late July) a few weeks back that was enlightening for a number of reasons. First, it is impossible to play poker without confidence. Second, it is impossible to have any confidence if you do not do something often enough to hone your abilities (the same lesson can be applied to what has happened to me in hoops). Third, if you do not drink enough to maintain an alcohol tolerance (mine was once legendary), then it is not a good idea to have myriad Captain and Diet Cokes from the onset of the session forward. I do not feel that I played badly that night. I won in the pre and post-tourney ring games. I was eliminated in 7th place from the 9-person tourney. I still haven't gotten over one particular hand that cost me what should have been a huge early chip lead.

I was in a heads-up pot against a very solid, tight player (let's call him Rob Y.). I was in late position with A-6 suited (diamonds), after limping in to see a flop of Ah, 6h, Jh. Rob checked, I bet big, he called. 4th street was a blank. I bet large again, and Rob re-raised all in. Prior to his re-raise, I was most certain that I had the best hand. This is where my lack of playing, and confidence, came into play. I went into the tank as I considered calling his all-in bet. The call would have represented most, if not all, of my remaining chips. I had Aces-up, and the only hands that I had to worry about were A,A, J,J or 6,6 or two suited hearts in the hole. Knowing how much of a rock Rob Y. is, I was pretty sure he had to have a high pocket pair. In my mind at the time I thought that maybe he had the J,J. So, I laid down my hand and showed my cards. He flipped over Q,Q (including the Queen of hearts). If I'd have called, I would have been ahead, but he had a LOT of outs. On one hand it looks like I made a disciplined lay-down, but my gut tells me it was a terrible lay-down for me. I ended up getting busted when another solid player (let's call him Danny E.) rivered a straight to knock me out. As I said earlier, my confidence has been lacking in a lot of things of late. I know that I am a better card player, and basketball player, than I have been showing. If I am going to continue to play either (or both), I am going to have to play and practice more often to keep myself sharp.

[Currently Listening: Bob Marley - "Small Axe"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home