Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Ejection, Pestilence and Scientology

There are a couple issues that have me ready to launch into rant mode, but first let me catch you up on my life happenings since the last entry.

Thursday night I cost my basketball team a game as I got myself two technicals and an ejection from a wound-way-too-tight referee. No matter how much of a spaz this guy was, the ejection and the loss are totally my fault. I had at least 4 opportunities to minimize the damage and walk away from the confrontation. Something I should have done given I am the team captain and we were in a tie game. The other team made all 4 of its technical free throws, and my team lost by 4. Here is what happened: one of our guys was complaining to the ref (actually, there were many players complaining) and during a timeout, the ref was grumbling and turning pink. This is significant because the referee was African-American. I went over to him to try and calm him down with a joke. He responded by telling me to “walk away” and that he was “not talking to me”. I was taken aback by his response, as I have a pretty good relationship with most of the officials in the league (a development that is most surprising given my history of Rasheed Wallace-esque incidents). I just stared at the guy after he said what he said and asked simply “so, it’s like that?”. He said “yeah. It’s like that”. So I made a dismissing waving motion with my hand and he T’d me up. I them lost my mind. I took the opportunity to tell him what I thought of him, referring to him multiple times as a “retard” (no offense to any readers with developmentally-challenged relatives or loved ones). I also failed to leave the premises in prompt fashion after my ejection, thus I have earned myself at least a 1-game suspension. But, since I have yet to be notified of said suspension, I plan to head to the gym tonight for our 8 o’clock…

God decided to punish me and my house for my bad behavior on Thursday night with a plague of pestilence that enveloped all three members of la familia. The Man Zachary was already sick with a cold, and he seemingly loves to share, as Kim and I both came down with it as well. Normally a cold bug isn’t that big a deal, but we had a lot to do as we were hosting Superkid Gabby’s 5th birthday party on Sunday afternoon. I was a cranky mofo for most of the weekend. However, Kim was 10 times the trooper I was, and we were able to put together a nice little party for the Superkid. I still cannot believe she is 5. I love that kid so much, but I am growing increasingly worried about her. The combination of her being born to a crack-addicted mother and being raised by my parents is enough to cause anyone problems. Kim and I are trying to be very active in her life, but it has been hard of late. We must do a better job. If she is left to the upbringing my Mom is going to provide, I worry for her development and her future.

Last week I got a call out of the blue from a person I never expected to see or hear from again – our childhood babysitter, Angela. She moved out of the neighborhood in 1990, but my mother removed her from our lives a few years prior to that. Angela was always very good to the four of us, and my mom’s turning on her was rough on us. It was good to hear from her, and also good to hear that she and her family are doing well. They live fairly close to me, and I am looking forward to catching up with her. We talked for a couple of hours – and she cried for a good portion of it. She saw back then how I was treated at home, and she (like most of my extended family) was powerless to do anything about. Hearing her talk about what she saw of past was painful – but affirming. My Mom swears that everyone who was around us growing up has conspired to form some sort of revisionist history of abuse. While re-living some of the stuff I have tried to put behind me was hard, at least I know I didn’t imagine any of it.

I am happy to report that I am either in 1st or 2nd place in all of my pools for the NCAA tournament. However, my chances of cashing in a victory were mollywopped by the Pitt Panthers. Yours truly had them going all the way to the Finals. Ooops. I looked at the results of the 1st round and thigns looked good for my Final Four picks. I watched the Pitt/Bradley game on Sunday and watched my chances of winning grow smaller and smaller as the game wore on. F’n Pitt!!! This is my best job of bracket predicting in almost a decade. Pitt, you broke my heart. Now, my only chance is for Bradley to make it to the Finals. Better luck next year, I guess!

Now to the first issue that has me on rant mode – Scientologists (click the link to read the excellent Rolling Stone piece on the religion "Inside Scientology"). I do not judge anyone for their religious beliefs. I actually agree with some of the basic tenets of the Scientology faith. What sets me off is when a religious group, or any group for that matter, tries to strong-arm freedom of speech and expression. Apparently the Scientologists have a mean reputation for litigating to death anyone who attempts to expose their belief system secrets or who may otherwise criticize or lampoon them. Enter free speech champions Matt Stone and Trey Parker – creators of South Park. An episode of South Park aired last fall entitled “Trapped In the Closet” (follow the link to the CNN.com story on the bruhaha) which lampooned Tom Cruise, John Travolta and Scientology in general. Apparently, the Church of Scientology has filed or threatened lawsuits which seek to effectively remove any possibility of the episode ever re-airing, and Tom Cruise reportedly has threatened non-promotion of the upcoming Mission Impossible III unless the re-run is yanked. Give me a break! My stance on this is the same as it was against the rampaging Islamic fundamentalists who torched embassies after European newspapers published the Muhammad cartoons – ACQUIRE A LIFE! I think it is great that people are able to embrace their religions with passion and zeal. I also have no problems with religious types that try to evangelize to others by spreading the word about their chosen faith. But, I am sick and tired of religious leaders who try to control others with their particular dogma. Kudos to Parker and Stone for their response to the Scientologists. It was brilliant, and very very funny.

Why can’t any of these people just be happy that they are able to practice their religions? Why do those in the religious right, the Muslim extremists and the Scientologists try to impose their wills on those of us who do NOT follow in the same religious belief systems? Not all Americans feel the same way as far as what is wholesome family entertainment. Most of the world’s population does not subscribe to the belief that it is sacrilegious to depict the visage of a religious prophet. And what makes Scientology different from any other group that has been an object (victim?) of satire? It makes me ill. I am a failry religious person, but the intrusion of religious groups into the secular world has gone well beyond the point of annoyance.


In a related development, Isaac Hayes (a Scientologist) has quit South Park. Hayes voiced the character of "Chef" - one of the truly great animated t.v. characters of all time. Will South Park fans ever hear the signature "hello children!" ever again? Stay tuned...

[Currently Listening: The Aquabats - "Super Rad"]

1 Comments:

At 12:47 PM, March 24, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the ref that booted you from the game last week.

Who do you think you are Ron Artest?

You rumble onto the court 2 minutes before game time, have your team do lay-up drills and the complain to me about my calls? Next thing I know you will run-up in the stands and beat up some poor defenseless fan.

Work on your foul shouts and then you can start complaining about my calls.

Oh and pass the ball to that Yoegel guy... he's starting to get a hot hand.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home