Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Abortion Hypocrisy From the Right

F#%&*ing conservatives. Why is it that none of them realize their hypocrisy? All of these holier-than-thou Republicans in the heartland are ready to follow South Dakota’s lead and pass anti-abortion legislation aimed at challenging Roe v. Wade, defending the the rights of the unborn and all of that good stuff. Funny how most of the people who are SO against abortion are also against higher taxes and welfare. Basically, these people want every conceived embryo to be born, but then want to leave these unwanted babies and their mothers left to their own devices on how to make it in the world. Where is the accompanying legislature aimed at providing health care benefits and other help to the hordes of not-ready-for-motherhood new moms and their until-recently-unwanted offspring? It doesn’t exist, because the Republican Religious-Right hypocrites believe 100% in every sperm/egg combo having a right to life - and its right to grow up poor, unloved, uneducated, with no access to health care and little chance of being able to compete with the more affluent children of the ultra-conservatives.

Speaking of hypocrites, I am one. A few years ago I used to blast people for watching American Idol. Back then, I was not much of a TV guy – btu since my exile from hockey I find myself in front of the tube regularly for a good number of shows – Boston Legal, Grey’s Anatomy, Idol, Desperate Housewives, etc. In what might come as a shock to those who have known me awhile, I was actually more amped for the season premier of Lost than I was for the Eagles Monday Night opener against the Falcons last September. But I digress. I blame my wife for getting me hooked on most of these shows. Without the never-ending stream of games and ref shifts to provide a buffer against what I thought was girlie-t.v., I was a sitting duck. But anyway, I LOVE American Idol. I find myself more riveted to it than I am to some sporting events. I even vote. It has gotten so bad that I told Kim she was “pitchy” the other night when she was singing The Man Zachary to sleep. I also believe that Idol judge Simon Cowell and I share a brain, or at least an ear (definitely not a tax bracket). It has been uncanny in recent weeks as I have made a comment on a performance only to hear it nearly repeated by the ill-tempered Brit critic a few moments later. I have to say that the other hosts on the show (Randy Jackson, Paula Abdul and Ryan Seacrest) have been driving me crazy this season with how they continually cut off and rebuff everything Simon says when it is his turn. People, the man is RIGHT. Instead of trying to be liked, listen to the man and learn something.

I have a basketball game tonight at 9. Looking forward to seeing how my 8-pounds-less-ample frame gets up and down the floor. I have not had a good season so far, but I need to start asserting myself tonight. I haven’t been demanding the ball as much as I should. I must say that I am shocked that teams continue to double-team me when I touch the ball. It’s frustrating, given that I am scoring 4 to 8 points a game this season, but it’s also an honor of sorts. I must have done something right for awhile if I am still commanding double-teams given how I have been playing the last couple of seasons.

[Currently Listening: Three Mile Pilot – “Inner Bishop”]

1 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, March 09, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree. Simon is the only one who actually knows what he's talking about. Paula must be high or drunk or watching another show because the garbage she is saying is "blowing her away" really is boring and terrible and would never be played on the radio...ever....But then again the likes of Britney and Jessica Simpson are on the radio all the time so maybe she does know what she's talking about....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home