Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Return of Evil Vince

Game #2 of the summer hoops season was a mixed bag for me as far as results. We were short-handed again, and again playing against a younger group of guys. I had 14 points in the first half, but my legs were like lead in the second. I finished with 18 or 20 points, but my lack of hustle in getting back on defense hurt us more than my points helped us. Rebounded fairly well, but had a tough time getting off the floor against younger players with springier legs. I need to get tougher and I need to get the exercise bike Kim's aunt gave us to our house and start hitting it hard. I got a technical in the first half when a player from the other team wildly swung his arms and hit me on top of my head. He started taunting me on the way back up the floor, so I told him in no uncertain terms how much pain I would introduce to what was left of his life should he anger me further.

As the game wore on, I did a couple of very sportsmanlike things, and was even commended on it by the refs. Then, as the game wound down - I undid all of the good will with one outburst, the first part of which was wholly justified. My team was trying to foul - in order to send the other team to the foul line and stop the clock. I fouled one of their players, cleanly, right in front of one of THREE referees. He stared at me, did not blow his whistle, and allowed play to go on. I lost it. I yelled "come ON! Make the call!!!". He blew his whistle and was about to give me another technical foul, and I told him "go ahead, T me up, retard". I regret that part of the outburst, because he is a nice kid who is a newer ref. But he made at least three horrible mistakes while reffing our game last night, and something needed to be said. He is not a retard, and that is a mean thing to call somebody, no matter how badly they are performing on a given day. I will apologize to him the next time I see him, but at this point I think my apologies in this league ring most hollow.

The man Zachary had his 9-month checkup at the doctors yesterday and the doc says he is a very healthy little guy. The doc said that with his size and full head of hair that it is important that we not let people forget that he is still just a baby. That hit me, because I don't really think of him as a baby. Monday was my first day with him alone, and it went really well. I felt a lot closer to him after being able to spend that kind of time taking care of him. I am happy to report that there were no missed meals, no injuries and no sustained wearing of dirty diapers. While this does not qualify me for Dad of the Year, it gave me a little confidence in that fatherhood department.

Looks like I am going to have to throw together some kind of fundraiser for Gabby's adoption costs. The lawyer told my parents that an uncontested adoption would run around $2,000.00 or so. We out up a $1,500.00 retainer and all seemed well. Complications in the proceedings have jacked up the costs to slightly over $4,000.00. My parents do not have the money. I don't have the money. But, it needs to be done, as Gabby is scheduled to start Kindergarten in August. The drama never ends. However, I will very likely be hastily organizing a beef and beer and/or poker tournament to raise the cash. More details later.

[Currently Listening: Social Distortion - "I Was Wrong"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home