Tuesday, June 13, 2006

A Fairly Nice Weekend

I had myself a fairly decent weekend. Friday started quasi-evil, as I was dismayed to find that my work ISP was not compatible with the ESPN 360 - and the web cast of the World Cup matches. However, my being a Verizon customer came in handy as I found a way to login and check out the games. The networks providing free web casting of events such as March Madness and the World Cup will definitely save me personal and vacation days. Next year. I felt the need to be with family and friends (namely my Dad) for Monday's matches, so my last personal/bereavement day was a must-use.

I didn't expect much from Friday night, but it ended up being a lot of fun. The neighbors all came over and we had an impromptu game night. Had some cold ones and a pretty good time. Saturday night I had a handful of the fellas over for the Hopkins fight and a 5-man card game broke out. I played really well, winning a little over $130 with a $30 investment. I didn't play anywhere near as well as Hopkins fought. Bernard Hopkins put on a clinic in his dismantling of former light-heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver. Hopkins stepped up in weight class to take the fight and not a lot was expected from him. He turned in a truly great, albeit surprising, performance - especially when you take into account his (Forty-something) age. I had my share of cold ones on Saturday night, and Sunday morning was a bit of a struggle. I knew I was expected at my man Josh's house for a $20 buy-in tourney, but I wasn't feeling up to it. Then I remembered how much support he has given my game, and I decided to suck it up and get down there. I finished second, and pocketed another $60. I watched The 4400 on Sunday night - and enjoyed the season premiere. Went to bed starting to get very excited for the USA-Czech Republic match Monday at noon.

Johnny S. arrived at my house at approximately 11:30am to find me in my American flag shirt and Uncle Sam hat. I was stoked. As the morning wore on, I was getting more and more fired up. Then, the broadcast came on, and with it the pre-game playing of the national anthems. I had goosebumps. I was fired up. Too bad the American team wasn't as well. The US squad left Sam's Army and the rest of us national team fans in a state of disappointment as they were smoked 3-0. Thankfully, Italy won 2-0 to bring at least some happiness to those in attendance. As I stated in my last blog, I grew up rooting for Italy - and I said that I would be rooting for a draw in this coming weekend's matchup between Italy and the USA. However, it dawned on me this weekend that the US is my team. I will always root for the Italians - as long as they are not matched up against my home country. I am a US fan first, an Italian fan second.

[Currently Listening: The Connells - "Slackjawed"]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home